by Ashleigh Feltham
Accredited Practising Dietitian and Accredited Nutritionist
There is no doubt that gut health is becoming a hot topic. When you think about gut health you may know about the importance of plant foods to promote a healthy gut. Have you considered the role that seafood can play in keeping your gut and consequently the rest of your body healthy?
Your gut is made up of different types of bacteria. Your diet influences the bacteria in your gut which in turn influence your health. Probiotics are the good bacteria which send out helpful signals in the form of short-chain fatty acids which promote metabolism, mood, and organ health just to name three health benefits.
Good bacteria or probiotics are found in fermented foods like kimchi, miso, tempeh, sauerkraut, and probiotic enriched yoghurt. These types of foods are recommended daily in your diet at around 2 serves to keep the balance of bacteria in your gut in favour of your health. To keep this good bacterium in your gut alive and healthy the bacteria needs to be fed. This is when plant foods or prebiotics come into play. They contain soluble fibre and resistant starch which keeps your microbes fed and sends health messages throughout your body.
- Increase the diversity of good bacteria in your gut as well as reduce inflammation. Long term or chronic inflammation can reduce your immune function and lead to several diseases and conditions including diabetes, arthritis, and heart disease.
- Combining omega-3 fat with probiotics reduces the ability of unhealthy bacteria to thrive in your gut.
- The communication between your gut and brain called the brain-gut axis is improved.
Putting this into action:
When you enjoy any of these probiotic-rich foods try to pair it with one of the many available products available by Safcol Seafood. This could include:
- Safcol Premium Salmon with Soy and Ginger 95g paired with 1 cup of sauerkraut on a bed of whole-grain rice. This combination is combining both pre and probiotics with the benefits of the omega-3 fat found in the salmon.
- Enjoy a tuna-based curry using Safcol Responsibly Fished Tuna in Springwater 185g and on the side have Greek yoghurt which has probiotics included.
- Make a stir fry using Safcol Delicatessen Smoked Oysters in Oil 85g as your protein and add fermented tofu.
- Pick your favourite recipe from the Safcol Seafood Experts website and side with a warm cup of miso.
Take home message
Promote optimal gut health with seafood. Plant foods play an important role in promoting the health of your gut. The role of seafood is now stepping into the spotlight as a health-promoting factor to your gut health. Plant-based eating as a trending diet for optimal health may become pescatarian based eating soon.
Hutchinson, A.N.; Tingö, L.; Brummer, R.J. The Potential Effects of Probiotics and ω-3 Fatty Acids on Chronic Low-Grade Inflammation. Nutrients 2020, 12, 2402.